Monday, December 10, 2012

Why Ron Swanson is the Man of My Dreams

I have come to the conclusion over the past few months that these days there are very few independent men; whether it is emotionally independent, physically independent, or just independent in general. My experience with these “men” has been daunting. I think, at times, men think that all women want to nurture and take care of someone or something, so they “let us” cook, clean, and coddle them…usually with nothing in return. This is not a good tactic and it is a COMPLETE turn off. Sure, at first, we might respond positively to it but soon enough we will resent you and quietly (or not so quietly) hate you for it.



The first time I was awakened to the weaknesses of the men in my generation was my first week in college. I went down to the community laundry room and was separating my laundry into all the correct piles when I felt someone watching me…I turned around and it was not one someone but MANY someones. There were about five guys standing behind me watching me sort my laundry. I realized these “men” had no idea how to do laundry, not a fucking clue. Thus began my tutorial “Laundry for the College Male 101”, by the time I had finished there were at least 10 guys listening. Needless to say this was the first of many shocks I was going to experience and they haven’t stopped.

I just want to find a guy that is self-sufficient. Is that so much to ask for? I want a partner, an equal. I am a strong willed and self-sufficient woman, I don’t need a caregiver and I don’t want to be the caregiver.  I’m not saying they have to be totally self-sufficient (that is just unrealistic), I just want a guy that is the younger version of Ron Swanson, from NBC’s Parks and Recreation.
 Image courtesy of http://bookriot.com

 Ron Swanson, dream man! :  Big (in brawn and personality), smart, strong (mentally and physically), capable… a real man’s man; Ron Swanson. The man is a specimen to behold. The man should be a role model for all men. The man is a God. I understand that his being a God means no human male can be exactly like him, but they can certainly refer to a “What Would Ron Swanson Do?” mantra.

This is the type of guy that will build you a house and all the accoutrements to go with it, make you a hearty meal of beef and cheese, kill a bear should it attack, brew all his own beer, work hard at his job, grow a full beard in two hours, and most important of all be honest and reliable.
Watch and Learn

There is a severe lack of reliability and honesty in guys these days. Life would just be so much easier if people wouldn't bullshit each other. And Ron Swanson is the epitome of a non-bullshitter.  Ron, because he is such a man, does have difficulty showing his sensitive side but he does! He doesn't hide who he is, he lays it all out there and you have to decide whether to take it or not and I have decided that I’ll take it…just a few years younger please ;)

Top Five Reasons Ron Swanson is a Better Man than You Are:
1.       Loyal to his womenhe has had two wives and was loyal to each one while he was with her (despite their being crazy)

2.       Can out drink you and out eat you in whiskey and bacon—don’t even try

3.       Has a female best friend who he trusts completely but has no romantic relations with nor will he ever

4.       Can build anything you could ever want out of wood

5.       Is secretly the most caring and fun man

Gif courtesey of http://www.uproxx.com

I rest my case.

2 comments:

  1. I thought my dream man was Ted from How I Met Your Mother... until I "dated" a near-replica of Ted for two-ish weeks before he dropped me for unknown reasons that probably had to do with the fact that he had a specific formula for his love life that isn't ever going to work out--like Ted, but whereas we know Ted somehow gets the girl in the end, we don't have fast-forwards in real life, and living your life like a tv show never quite works.

    Or he just didn't like the drive to my apartment. We'll never know.

    I also had forgotten how many girls Ted ultimately screws over on his path to find "The One." Despite being a hopeless romantic he's very self centered and childish in his methods. It was a wakeup call that Ted wasn't so sweet and dreamy after all, and kind of a douche at times.

    Anyway, what I'm getting at is that fictional characters are fictional, and the best we can hope for is meeting someone cool that actually exists :) Much luck in your journey to find your Real Life Ron, hope he doesn't turn out to be a dick/sad little man-child like my Real Life Ted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never cared for the character of Ted on HIMYM. I, actually, really hate him haha, seems we have VERY different types. I am not surprised that your "real-life" Ted was super lame. I do realize I am talking about a fictional character, but it doesn't hurt to give people a few pointers on how to be awesome! I have faith that Real-Life Ron exists somewhere out there :)

    ReplyDelete