Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Voice Mailboxes Lack Common Sense.

I really don't think it should take me seven steps to check my voice mail.


Every time the little red light is on my work phone, informing me of a message, I get a little irritated, because I know it will be a five to ten minute debacle.

-Welcome to your voice mail. Please enter your extension, and then press the pound key.
-Thank you. Please enter your password. And then press the pound key.
-You have two new messages. To record messages, press 1. To get messages, press 2.
-You have two new messages. Voice call received December 10, 9:30am. To listen, press 1. To skip, press 2.
-Voice call from 123-345-6789, ten seconds. To listen, press 1. To skip, press 2.
-"Hello! Message about stuff here!" to delete, press 1. To do other stuff, press other numbers. For more options, press 7.*
-Repeat per message.

If you're checking your voice mail, odds are it's because you see you have a message. Can't we save everyone the headache and just have it be the first option?

And that's my Gripe of the Morning. Cheers.

*Side gripe: the "repeat message" option is quite annoyingly hidden.
---------

First time here? Why not check out...


5 comments:

  1. This is PRECISELY the reason I give NO ONE my work number and just make them call my cell. The phones here also do not have an ignore option so if I don't want to talk to the person the whole office has to listen to my phone ring until the person gives up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier to just punch in an extension number when it's within the office, plus in my field there's a lot of older people who aren't of the "email/cell phone/social media" generation like we are.

      I prefer people to email me with things they need me to do, that way it's easier for me to retrieve AND I have somewhat of an electronic paper trail that tells me when I got the assignment and whatnot. "I called you about this two weeks ago!" is something I occasionally get when in reality it's been a week but I don't have a time signature to prove it... bleh.

      Delete
    2. That is fucking awful! Thank God everyone here is all about the email, so I have a paper trail and proof and I also have a way to keep track of my tasks...when I have them.

      Delete
  2. Also thanks for the Ron post shout out :)

    ReplyDelete