Friday, December 14, 2012

My friends are dorks.


"I'm on my way out," my roommate said to me as I got in from play rehearsal at nearly 10:00pm last night.

"What? Where are you going? Aren't you sick?" I responded, thinking back to two days ago when I had to bring her to the ER because her cough was inhibiting her breathing.

"I'm going to The Hobbit premiere. Aren't you?"

"Hah! You dork. Have fun!"

The majority of my friends spent last night waiting in line to see the midnight showing of The Hobbit, tickets they'd had for weeks. I politely declined and said that it was just a little too dorky for me. My same response when they asked me to audition to be an actor for the local Renaissance Fair. I'm a theater nerd for sure, and more dorky than I would probably let on in most circumstances--for example, I dressed up as Katniss for the Hunger Games premiere and while I never made it to a Harry Potter book release I always wanted to--but I gotta draw the line somewhere.

I remember a Facebook back and forth with two friends of mine, when one posted a Doctor Who meme of some sort to their wall. These friends also identify as different houses from Harry Potter, to the point where if you heard them casually discussing it, you'd think it was a real thing. Anyway, the conversation went something like this...

Me: Is there a nerdy thing that you guys DON'T like?
Friend 1: NOPE!
Me: I honestly can't think of one...
Me: MANGA! Right? You're not into all that stuff?
Friend 2: Yes, we aren't very fond of Manga.

I will just take the time to say here that yeah, I love my dorky friends. Also that, while I use nerd and dork interchangeably, an ex of mine was very adamant about the fact that they are very different beasts. He sent me the diagram below (he identified as "nerd"):



No thanks, I don't need to see The Hobbit until it comes out on DVD, if that. I wished my roommate luck and that her cough wouldn't upset her grand movie-watching experience with a theater full of awkward people in Hobbit feet. I said I'd wait until the next Hunger Games so I could whip out my Katniss costume again.

I proceeded to spend the rest of the night taking pictures of my cat.


Yes, they are the dorky ones.

3 comments:

  1. This post is hilarious!! I have tried to get into the Lord of the Rings thing but it never worked. Why did I try? Because everyone I knew was getting into it...what happened when I went to the movies? I spent 10 plus dollars for a three hour nap. I would fall asleep and wake up and the same fucking scene would be unfolding in front of me. I tried...I really did, but I guess my nerd and dork obsessions lie elsewhere. Scott Pilgrim, anything Edgar Wright really...Shit TV shows, IT Crowd...there are a ton. Maybe there is a post in it for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love! While I have been anxiously awaiting The Hobbit myself, I find that I am just too OLD to make it through a 3 hour movie at midnight. I am, unfortunately, outside of your 20-something gripes age range. But I still find your blog funny! :-) I will have to find time to see the movie in the next couple weeks, when I don't have to sit next to someone with hairy feet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We accept all ages on here!! We just happen to have the first world gripes of people our age :)!!

    ReplyDelete