Monday, December 17, 2012

Spreading Good Cheer with Tears in Our Eyes.

The events of Friday in Newtown, Connecticut were heart-wrenching, heart-breaking, a tragedy.. That is something we can all agree on. I feel similar in the aftermath as I did when September 11th happened--while it didn't affect me directly, it made a profound impression and left me feeling helpless. My heart is aching for these families. I lost someone close to me once, and while not in such a violent and hate-filled way, the ache is still there and I cannot even imagine what those families are going through.

I don't think it's right to use this tragedy as an excuse to stand on a soap box or promote a political agenda. The parents and families of those whose lives were lost have not even buried their slain loved ones yet. No thank you, I do not want to hear about how this had nothing to do with guns, or everything to do with guns, I don't want to hear about God not being in public schools or not in public schools and what that means, or whether or not mental illness is a factor in it all and what should be done about that. I don't care whether or not these meme-images coincide with my own beliefs, it is NOT the time or the place. I feel a little bit of rage build up inside of me whenever I see these things in my newsfeed. I want to cry because yes, what you believe is important, and yes, you have every right to express it, but to use a horrible tragedy to try and force others to see your side just feels so wrong to me. Even if change is set into motion by huge events such as this.

It could just be me, I don't know. But that's not the point of this post. Instead of griping on my facebook (there's this blog for that now, heh), I re-posted this link with the following:

"As the year comes to a close I think it is important to remember that despite it all, there is good in the world, and there are people who dedicate themselves to perpetuating it. We should take tragedy not as an excuse to get on a soapbox or spread political agendas, but as a catalyst to propel ourselves forward as human beings. We are all people, we all need each other, and love is worlds stronger than hate. Let's make our New Year's Resolution to try and make it on a list like this for 2013--if not on an internet buzz site but in the heart of someone who needs it. Happy Holidays to all, please let's remember what this time of year is all about."

And I mean it. I am 25. I am often selfish and self centered and while the worst thing that ever happened to me was losing my father, more often than not I think my world is ending because I cannot have the things I want. Or I don't have enough money. Or I don't live in NYC or California. When a tragedy like the Newtown shooting happens, it puts things into better perspective. I am so lucky to have the people in my life that I do. I am so lucky to have a roof over my head, food in my belly, a job, and even a bank account that isn't in the negatives. I need to pay it forward way more often than I do.

Why don't we put the soap boxes away, take a break from re-blogging and sharing memes that reflect political views--at least until the holidays are over--and instead re-channel that energy into something positive? Everyone is fighting their own battles, and no matter what they are a friendly face and helping hand are always appreciated. Pay for someone's coffee in line behind you. Donate $10 to a charity you care about. Leave an anonymous gift on the doorstep of a friend who needs cheering up. Volunteer somewhere. Pay for a stranger's lunch. Do something to make someone smile.

I guarantee you, while it won't change the world or dull the pain of such a terrible event, it will feel so much better than sharing a photo on Facebook.

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”- Mr.Rogers

2 comments:

  1. GREAT post. Now is not the time to be fighting about gun control or mental illness. Maybe next week or the week after. But not now while we haven't even buried the dead yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. I'm not saying that tragedy cannot be a call to action--but when it's something THIS intense and THIS heart-wrenching, it just makes me sick that people seemed to jump on it as an excuse to try to guilt people into seeing their side of some political argument. Not the time.

      Delete