Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Paradox of an Office Heating System

In the summer, I wear my usual polished-casual office outfit at work--we are allowed to wear "dress jeans," whatever that means, but no graphic tees or sneakers--plus a zip up hoodie or sweater of some sort because our air conditioner makes my workspace sub-Arctic. One time, no lie, I wore gloves. It is difficult to type in gloves.

In the winter, the heat is cranked so high that I struggle to find office-appropriate attire without showing too much skin because it is boiling hot inside, while having layers nearby for the frigid New England temperatures outside for the mad dash from the office door to the car. I felt bad for EVERYONE the day I forgot to slather on some deodorant.

Today, I am wearing a light sweater and am seriously contemplating throwing on my down coat because it is unusually cold in here. I am hoping my blatantly outdoor winter scarf can pretend to be fashionable and that nobody thinks I look like a Chou-Chou* collared weirdo. If I felt comfortable revealing where I work this all would seem somewhat ironic, but not in an Alanis-Morisette-doesn't-know-the-meaning-of-the-word way. Really.

My New Year's resolution is to spontaneously develop lizard blood so that I can adapt to my environment seasonally and not be in a constant state of discomfort due to temperature.**

Did I mention I hate winter? I am over it. The snow was pretty for Christmas but my beach bag is on standby for whenever summer, prodigal season, decides to return to me and encase me in its warm, loving embrace.

*You know, those dogs with the huge fluffy mane around their necks? I thought I was clever with this one...
**Actually it's to lose ten pounds, and by lose ten pounds I mean I'll complain about my butt constantly but continue to sit on it for hours at a time stuffing my face with ZebraCakes because the world no longer has Twinkies and that is a TRAGEDY--though the bigger tragedy is the whiney explanation on Hostess's website as to why they closed. But maybe I'll Zumba once or twice? Yeah?

1 comment:

  1. ** always starts with good intentions...ends with my ass on the couch or at a bar.

    ReplyDelete