Monday, January 7, 2013

Dollar Store Heebie Jeebies

Why does everything there smell like dust and sadness? Considering I am in a constant state of Broke, I know this is something I have to get over. I'm getting good at utilizing the Dollar Store for decorations and random things like jars or cooking utensils or things that don't really need to be top-of-the-line. But some things I am still iffy about.

I still won't eat food from the dollar store. The dusty off-brand names make my stomach turn. Even the brand name ones. I don't know why, I wish it didn't. Full sized bags of chips for a dollar would be nice. Or cereal. Or anything because IT'S ONLY A DOLLAR.

Like everyone else on the planet, my New Year's Resolution is to lose some weight and get healthier. I roped a few friends into doing this with me, so I feel confident I have an actual shot at it. One of the mantras I keep hearing in all this is DRINK. MORE. WATER. So I got a neat little metal water bottle from the dollar store and, after using it to make Skittles Vodka for new years (Skittles + Vodka + 3 days, shaking occasionally = SKITTLES VODKA) I soaked it overnight in soapy water and then rinsed in the hottest water I could handle, three times. It's worth noting here that I also have a "phobia" of plastic, since I feel like everything plastic touches makes it taste like plastic and that, also turns my stomach, so a metal water bottle seemed ideal. Metal doesn't keep smells as easily as plastic does, so I figured a metal water bottle from the dollar store was safe. And I didn't end up with dust-flavored-vodka either, which was a good sign.

I filled the bottle this morning and after my coffee was done I took a giant swig of water and immediately my mouth was filled with the distinct taste of what the dollar store smells like. This was ten minutes ago and I CAN STILL TASTE IT. I CANNOT GET IT OFF MY TONGUE.

Uuuuugh.

1 comment:

  1. That is disgusting. If there is something I never skimp on it is water bottles. I have the BPA fear to the max and I try not to reuse pastic water bottles. I also have a metal one from REI that I love and that is the one I use most often.

    ReplyDelete